Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tribute

It has been reported that on Sunday, November 13th, the world lost skiing legend Jamie Pierre to an avalanche in Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT. Jamie was constantly pushing the limits of his sport; his tenacious pursuit of the extreme has forever changed the face of skiing. His death is a harrowing reminder that even our heroes aren't immune to the dangerous whims of nature. But he will always remain an icon to the skiing community.


I remember watching Jamie's segment in the premiere of Warren Miller's Playground at the Minneapolis State Theatre when I was 16. Before the show, he came out on stage to give a warm Minnesotan hello to his hometown crowd. I had no idea he grew up where I did. Another meat and potatoes kid like me? Midwestern skiing has got a lot of heart. If you can put up with the frostbitten tow-rope skiing of Minnesota, you've either got an enormous amount of passion for the sport or you probably sport your Ski-Doo jacket while apres-skiing with a Premium Grain Belt.

Seeing Jamie, another flatlander from my neck of the woods, shred huge lines and drop massive cliffs in a Warren Miller feature was hugely motivational. After seeing that film I was inspired to get out of my element — I had no doubt in my mind that I would be heading west to be in the mountains. Idols like Jamie have given me and many others the spark to get out there and slay it. And for that, I am so very grateful. So here's to endless glades of white. Thank you, Jamie. May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment